IPL Award for Success
The IPL award will be given for three success projects implemented within IPL at each World Landslide Forum by evaluating the previous 3 year activities. The achievement of IPL projects is much affected by the finances and the infrastructure of the developed or developing country. The aim of the IPL Award for Success is not to select the Best IPL project, but to select the Successful IPL projects relative to the circumstances of the group.
- Awards for the winner(s) are 3000 USD and Certificate.
- Judging for the award will be by members of the IPL Award committee.
- IPL Award Committee: Chairperson, 2 members and a secretary
- Evaluation of projects will be based on the different items for types of projects.
The past recipients of the IPL Award for Success are:
The Second World Landslide Forum at FAO Headquarters, Rome, October 2011.
(1) Lynn Highland: U.S. Geological Survey, and Peter Bobrowsky: Geological Survey of Canada (Publication)
IPL 106 Best Practice handbook for landslide hazard mitigation (2002-2007)
(2) Farrokh Nadim and Bjørn Kalsnes: International Centre for Geohazards, Norway (Research)
IPL 102 Assessment of global high-risk landslide disaster hotspots (2002-2004)
IPL 144 Changing pattern of landslide risk and strategies for its management (2009-present)
(3) Dwikorita Karnawati and Faisal Fathani: Universitas Gadjah Mada, Indonesia (Capacity Building)
IPL 158 Development of Community-based Landslide Early Warning System (2009-present)
IPL 159 Development of Education Program for Sustainable Development in Landslide Vulnerable Area through Student Community Service (2009-present)
The Third World Landslide Forum at China National Convention Center, Beijing, China, 2014
(1) Wei Shan: Research Center of Cold Regions Landslide, China
IPL-132 Research on vegetation protection system for highway soil slope in seasonal frozen regions (2008-present)
IPL-167 The effect of freezing-thawing on the stability of ancient landslide of North-Black highway (2009-present)
(2) Ogbonnaya Igwe: Department of Geology, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria
IPL-150 Capacity building and the impact of climate-driven changes on regional landslide distribution, frequency and scale of catastrophe (2010 – present)
IPL-183 Landslides in West Africa: impacts, mechanism and management (2012-present)
The Fourth World Landslide Forum at the Cultural and Congress Centre in Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2017.
1) Claudio Margottini: ISPRA, Dpt. Geological Survey of Italy
IPL-106- 1 Landslide museum in Civita di Bagnoregio (2006/2008- 2012) (published in Landslides, Vol.14 (1) in 2017)
IPL-186 Rock-fall hazard assessment and monitoring in the archaelogical site of Petra, Jordan (2013 -)
IPL-217 PROTHEGO – PROTection of European Cultural HEritage from GeO – Hazards (Daniele Spizzichino/ Claudio Margottini, 2017-)
WLF4 Forum Lecture : “Rupestrian world heritage sites: Instability investigation and sustainable mitigation” by Caudio Margottini, Peter Bobrowsky, Giovanni Gigli, Heinz Ruther, Daniele Spizzichino and Jan Vlcko (published in Vol.1 ISDR-ICL Sendai Partnerships of WLF4) including one of IPL initial projects. IPL-C101-3 “The geomorphological instability of the Buddha niches and surrounding cliff in Bamiyan valley (Central Afganistan)” (2002-2015)
2) A A Virajh Dias: Central Engineering Consultancy Bureau (CECB), Sri Lanka
Model Policy Frameworks, Standards and Guidelines on Landslide Disaster Reduction (WCoE 2014-2017: Leader). Published in Vol.1 of WLF4.
IPL-155 (Leader) Determination of soil parameters of subsurface to be used in slope stability analysis in two different precipitation zones of Sri Lanka.
IPL-199 (core member); The Effect of Root Systems in Natural Slope Erosion Protection in the Hill Country of Sri Lanka
IPL-200 (core member): An Assessment of the Rock fall Susceptibility Based on Cut Slopes Adjacent to Highways and Railways.